Sunday, March 22, 2020

Sing when your spirit is down.

Hands down the most holy part of my day is singing Aaron to sleep every night. If he hasn't napped, he will usually fall asleep in my arms on his chair, which is sweet and fills me with gratitude. His favorite songs have been:
  • Jesus Loves Me/ Alleluia (the campy pretty one)
  • Go Tell it on the Mountain
  • Silent Night (all three verses)
  • Jingle Bells
  • Jingle Bell Rock 
  • Rudolph (we have been singing Christmas songs for about six months now)
  • More Precious Than Silver
  • Go in Peace
He also really likes when Jesse sings him, "Up Above My Head." It has to be Jesse though. I tried to sing it the other day and he said, "no, that's dad's song for me."

Tonight he was too tired to pick, so I sang a few of my favorite old camp songs- the ones that we'd sing on the living room floor of my friends' houses in high school youth group. Those songs are always special to me. They were the songs that taught me things about my faith and they hold all of these memories of feeling the most loved and grateful. It was the first time all day the elephant of grief/anxiety/whatever this alternate reality is doing to all of us/etc. got off my chest. I forgot that when I sing, something happens to me and I feel whole again. That sounds super cheesy, but whatever. You don't know how I feel. And what I feel is better.

The song that made me the most glad is called "Joy." I've scoured the interwebs and have yet to find it anywhere besides my SLL songbook that has clipart in it. 

Here are the words, the tune is prettier:

Sing when your spirit is down
Run when your mind is weary
Love when the world despises you
and pray, to receive a very strong feeling
and a very strong mind
and a friendship that will last a very long time

Trust when you've given up hope
Wait when you are impatient
Give when your goods mean much to you
And look to the cross on calvary
it will give you a peace
and a lifetime of a joy that never will cease

I like it. It helped me remember to have joy today when I've mostly just been sad.   

No comments:

Post a Comment