Thursday, March 5, 2020

David Real

One time when I was 10, I was in love with David Real. We were in Mrs. Sedey's 5th grade class. The week of Valentine's Day two of my friends walked up (and he was closely behind them) and they said, "Do you like David?" and I got very embarrassed and said, "No, I don't like David!" "Well, he like likes YOU. Do you want to be his girlfriend?" "No, I don't like like him." But I really really did.

On Valentine's Day, I gave him the best card in the Valentines Day card pack and then I put TWO heart stickers on it. Everyone else only got one or no stickers. I was sure this was the obvious gesture he needed in order to convey that I had lied and that I really DID like him. Then for like a month I hid tiny ripped up pieces of paper in his desk that said, "Do you like me, check yes or no." I don't know if I put my name on them or not. He never gave the papers back.

Months later I heard he had a framed picture in his house of another girl in our class named Dana. I liked Dana, but I liked her less after that.

When I was pining after David Real, I would take sidewalk chalk and write, "I <3 David Real" all over the backyard patio, and one time I wrote him a letter but I never mailed it because he moved to Mexico and I didn't have his address.

It's hard to know why it didn't work out for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment