Thursday, March 30, 2023

The one where I will compare salt and complaining

Sometimes I catch myself complaining a lot, only I don't actually care all that much about the thing I'm complaining about- I'm not really upset about it, it didn't ruin my time, etc. Honestly it's just something to talk about. Like today we went to the science museum and it was nice. Hectic and wild and a little tense at times, but overall it was a nice morning and I'm grateful to have gotten to go with the kiddos. I was telling Jesse about it this afternoon and I must have said a bunch of things that went wrong because he said (like 30% in jest), "was there anything good about the science museum?" Then I realized I only complained? 

Here's the thing, details, variety, it makes a story and an experience better. If the science museum was, "good," "fun," "nice," that would be pretty boring to hear about. You gotta add some details like, "Aaron was running and spinning all over the place," "Clara kept peeking at people and touching their heads during the imax movie," "I lost Aaron for a few minutes but then we found him," "Clara's favorite exhibit was a toy car that we have at our house," "there was this really nice, but definitely judgy lady we met on our way in." "guess how many museums we can go to with our new annual pass?" "that imax movie like had a plot and everything." You know, it's like spices on food. No one wants to eat bland stuff, you want it to have flavor. 

For the title of this post's sake, maybe complaining is like salt? Easy to add, but too much ruins your food. Also it's addictive probably. But it definitely makes your bland food taste better. I think that's about as far as that metaphor goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment