Friday, March 17, 2023

surprise!! it's me, JUDGMENT

Here's a thing: when you have some judgment for other people and all of their perfectly-reasonable-to-be-judging-them-choices, there's a good chance you're just storing up that judgment for yourself for later. Here's why: if you ever dip anywhere close to the situation you're judging them for, poof, all that judgment gets heaped on you. You either have to do all kinds of mental gymnastics to justify why what you are doing isn't the same as what those-people-who-still-definitely-deserve-all-that-judgment are doing or you have to simmer in the shame of being exactly-like-THOSE-PEOPLE.

An alternative seems to be just having more empathy for people and their unique situations and giving people the benefit of the doubt. I'd rather grace and empathy heaped on me later. I wouldn't say I'm good at this, but it does seem like the better option for future us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment