Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sometimes I want to learn how to hunt, in case there's an apocalypse

When I think about the future, there are two scenarios I see:

1. This ultra-techy world that I don't understand (for more thoughts)
2. The earth has been ravaged and our own technological advancement has been our demise. It looks like this in my head (this also what a google photo search looks like when you type in, "post apocalypse landscape"):




It really could go either way. And either way freaks me out a little. Except for the second one, that freaks me out more.

I'm totally dependent on modern conveniences: 
  • Living in Wisconsin, I would actually freeze to death without heat.
  • I don't know how to grow food.
  • I don't know how to preserve it if I could grow it.
  • I don't know how to hunt or butcher meat. Even typing that made me a little gaggy. 
  • How do I get water? The kind without giardia?
  • My medical knowledge involves knowing about how to apply band-aids and looking up things on web MD... but if the world ended, how likely is it that I'll be able to look up stuff on the internet? NOT LIKELY.

So, I need to learn some things in case of an apocalypse. Because clearly I'm unprepared. Although I did take some quiz on facebook one time that said, "how long would you survive in the wilderness?" and it said somewhere around a year. Not bad actually. 

But, I do want to live longer than that.

Thank God I'm married to a smart eagle scout that knows how to hunt and make campfires. 

No comments:

Post a Comment