Thursday, February 18, 2016

My High School Quote Book

Because I was a reflective and insightful high school student, in eleventh or twelfth grade I made a quote book where I could write down all of the cliches that changed my life. Check out the cover:


And, here are some of the quotes:

"When the door of happiness closes, another opens, but often times we look so long at the closed door that we don't see the one which has been opened for us." -An email forward

"When you were born, you were crying and everyone around you was smiling. Live your life so that when you die, you're the one who is smiling and everyone around you is crying." -A friendship book I had

"Every man dies. Not every man truly lives." -Braveheart (Also! Fun fact! In my way distant ancestry, our family is a relative of William Wallace!)

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent." -Eleanor Roosevelt, and this was quoted in The Princess Diaries, which is how I knew about it.

"When it is dark enough, you can see the stars." -Charles A. Beard (I still like this one a lot) (Also the internet also says that Ralph Waldo Emerson and Martin Luther King, Jr. also said this. I also just said this, so you can also quote me).

"Friends are angels who lift us up when our wings have forgotten to fly." -So many email forwards and AIM away messages.

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight." -My senior quote in our yearbook (also I spelled it "strait" in my quote book)

"At first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again." -Aaliyah

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires. We could buy useful things like love." -Homer Simpson (that's still really funny)

"The way I see it, if you want the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain." -Dolly Parton

Those are the funniest ones, but I had some pretty good quotes in there too, like:

"You will find as you look back upon your life, that the moments when you have truly lived, are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love." -Henry Drummond  

"Optimism and hope are radically different attitudes. Optimism is the expectation that things- the weather, human relationships, the economy, the political situation, and so on- will get better. Hope is the trust that God will fulfill God's promises to us in a way that leads us to true freedom. The optimist speaks about concrete changes in the future. The person of hope lives in the moment with knowledge and trust that all of life is in good hands." -Henri Nouwen.

"While optimism makes us live as if someday soon things will go better for us, hope frees us from the need to predict the future and allows us to live in the present, with the deep trust that God will never leave us alone but will fulfill the deepest desires of our heart." -Henri Nouwen. (WAY TO GO eleventh grade me for having TWO Henri Nouwen quotes!)

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness, only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

"Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could, some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it serenely, and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your own nonsense." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

What were your fav. quotes in high school?

No comments:

Post a Comment