Friday, February 26, 2016

Copycat Waving

Sometimes I copy people by accident.

Sometimes I find myself saying, "oh, me too!" before I realize that it's not true at all. I hate lying, so I always confess, which can be weird.

Here's an example:

Friend: I'm so not a morning person.
Me: I know! Me neither! (internal thought process: wait, yes you are. Why did you say that? You hate staying up late. You're abnormally chipper in the morning... annoyingly so.)
Me, again: wait, yes I am.

This happens especially when I'm waving at people.  Without thought, I copy whatever kind of greeting they give me. They wave all big with a smile, you gotta know I'm waving equally as big with an equally big smile. If I get a casual, "hello," I say "hello" in the same tone. They do a 2003 head nod at me, they get one right back, sometimes accompanied by a "what up." If they start a high five, then I... that's actually not a good example.

I'm sure subconsciously I just want to connect with them in a way that makes them comfortable. But why can't I wave in a unique way?

You know in the movie "Runaway Bride" how Julia Roberts always changes the way she likes her eggs based on who she's engaged to? Maybe it's the same way for me, but with greetings. It's hard to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment