Thursday, February 25, 2016

My Gratitude Journal

I don't want to write this blog today. Because it's 10:20 and I'm tired. When I'm tired, I don't want to do things. (Also Jesse's out of town and he has the computer, so I have to write this on my phone.)

And sometimes I have to make myself do things that matter instead of watching tv. Today is one of those days. I'm really grateful that I'm making myself write every day in this blog. I'm proud of the little discipline that I'm working on, and I'm proud of the way that I'm using my time. I'm proud of being a creator rather than a consumer for at least this part of my day. 

There are a lot of things in my life that are good for me, but I don't always want. For example, eating more salad and less nachos, exercising intentionally, reading more articles and books that matter and less online buzzfeed quizzes, you know?

One of the daily practices that I try to keep is writing in a gratitude journal. A friend of mine gave me this one several months ago, here's a pic:

Almost every night I don't want to write in it. I keep it by my bed so reflecting on the things I'm grateful can be one of the last things I think about each day. For some reason though, it's this giant burden to reach over and grab the journal and a pen and write. It takes me 2 minutes. I become more grateful and joyful. It's very convenient. This particular journal doesn't have many spaces to fill up and there's a spot for every day. It's so easy. I don't know why I don't want to take the time. That's a reflection for another day perhaps. But, the point is, I make myself write in it. Because it's important. And I makes me a more grateful person. And if I get "too tired" too many days in a row, I just might not remember for months to be grateful. 

Sometimes you have to do the things that are good for you, especially when you don't want to do them.

So I wrote this post, for discipline sake and because it's good for me.

Now I'm going to make myself write in my gratitude journal and go to sleep. 

Thanks for reading this, You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment