Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Cruisin around T.O.

Abbreviations Key
TO: Thousand Oaks, CA; where I grew up and where 98% of my family lives
BH: Bohemian Rhapsody; probs Queen's best song of all (although Bicycle is pretty good and so is You're My Best Friend and so are most of the songs on their greatest hits albums); also there was almost no reason to abbreviate this other than I had a few other abbreviations to put in this list, and it's a bit of a long song name.
BSB: Backstreet Boys; THE boy band of my teenage years (alongside Nsync).
BFF: Best Friends Forever; you knew that though
CD: Compact Disc; contains songs for playing in CD player or sweet boom box; started becoming popular around the time that Titanic came out, because my first CD was Celine Dion with "My Heart Will Go On" on it.
LOL: Laugh out loud; there was no other reason to include this than to be instructive to my family who sometimes thinks this means "lots of love"... it doesn't.
JK: Just kidding (and also, mine and Jesse's first letter of our first names put next to each other, which is very special for me). I'm getting more excited about this abbreviations key than what I plan to write about. Actually it's going to be more work to weave in some of these abbreviations that really have no purpose in the rest of this.


Probably every year we could drive, me and my BFFs would cruise around TO listening to all the jams. Because why wouldn't we do that? The most memorable year was the summer before I moved to the midwest (I THINK this is when it was, if it wasn't it was a year or two before that?). BSB's newest album came out- the one with "Incomplete" on it. It's a pretty fun power ballad with a lot of build to the chorus (and maybe a key change in there somewhere) which really makes you want to belt it. We also had a CD with BH on it and we were pretty proud that we knew all of the words to it, so naturally that was also a perfect belting it song too.

We would get in my Hyndai or Stephanie's Accord (was it an Accord? I don't remember. It was a tan-ish gray compact car), or Rachel's white truck, roll down all the windows, blast Incomplete or BH, sing as loudly as we could, and make eye contact with no one, or everyone. We'd drive up and down TO Blvd and Moorpark Road, which are obviously the most important streets to go down. Sometimes we'd drive to the beach and hang out for a few minutes. We were the coolest people. ARE. Are the coolest people. JK. LOL. I miss my BFFs. And my Hyundai. And BSB.

No comments:

Post a Comment