Saturday, April 8, 2017

And I keep on trying.

Sometimes just when I need it, the right song will pop in my head and give me good advice. Usually it's a hymn or a camp song. One time my sermon was not coming together and I was super nervous and I had to give it in like a half hour, and just then a song that I learned in junior high Sunday school (or as Erik Berg would call it: "Sunday's cool") popped in my head. It was "Be Bold". It goes like this: "be bold, be strong, for the Lord thy God is with thee." There are some additional hand motions and made up words like "sha na na na na na" but that part of the song luckily hadn't popped in my head. The part that did helped me take a deep breath and remember that God was there, and God would give me the words.

Usually it's a hymn or a camp song, but sometimes it's also a country song. There's this song by Trace Atkins that pops in my head when I'm not quite feeling adequate called, "I'm tryin". The part that I need to remember is this part: "But all I can do is all I can do, and I keep on trying. And all I can be is all I can be, and I keep on trying." It reminds me that we're all doing the best we can, and I should beating myself up about whatever thing I'm beating myself up about.

In case you're having a beating yourself up day, try taking some advice from Trace Adkins. Or maybe your own advice song will pop into your head. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment