Thursday, February 25, 2021

Pregnancy Cravings

Pregnancy cravings are really weird and unlike any other food cravings I've had. It's sort of all consuming. The other day I wanted donuts so bad I almost drove around town to find a place that would sell me a donut at 9pm. The only place that seemed like a viable option was a gas station and I bet they'd be pretty stale from sitting out all day (and not that great to begin with?). So, I gave up. Jesse went out and got me donuts a couple days later and they were exactly as satisfying as my brain said they'd be. It's weird because I don't even like donuts that much. Back when we could do church inside and hang out with all our church people and eat donuts every week, I never had one. Really I don't even think I had ONE. 

Here's a pic of some Puffy Cream donuts in Eagan.
They're the best and the ones that tasted like heaven a week ago.

I never stop being hungry when I'm growing a human, and especially in the middle of the night I'll wake up really hungry. If I'm smart, I get a snack and go back to bed. If I'm too tired to get up, I just think about foods I want to eat and fantasize about getting to eat them later that day. I even did that a little bit a few minutes ago. Someone posted a link to a restaurant and I spent like 10 minutes looking over the menu and thinking about how delicious it would be if I picked up a pancake breakfast in the morning. I ate dinner like an hour ago. I don't know, it's weird. 

Here were my food cravings with Aaron:

  • Taco Bell (I never gave in and ate it, but I fantasized about it often)
  • Enchiladas
  • A very specific piece of chocolate cake that I imagined often. That started after I got diagnosed with gestational diabetes, so it's hard to know if that was just a pregnancy craving or also because I knew I couldn't have it. And I didn't the rest of the pregnancy. I just thought about it every day from November to January. The day Aaron was born, my sisters went to several restaurants looking for the chocolate cake of my dreams. They found one and it was everything I hoped for and more.
  • Meat, except chicken. Chicken made me want to throw up for half of the pregnancy. We were visiting some friends and stopped at the store to get some food to grill for dinner. We got to the meat counter and I literally started salivating over raw meat. It was so weird and gross to me now.
Here are my food cravings with this one:
  • Donuts, especially raised ones, but I would eat just about any donut right now.
  • Ice cream (I found some low carb non dairy stuff that seems slightly healthier and the baby's okay with that, though they'd probably like the real stuff better).
  • Fruit. I usually don't really like fruit. Or sweet things in general (besides chocolate), but that's all this kid wants apparently. It's going to be great when I get diagnosed with GD again soon.
  • A friend talked about hamburgers the other day and I super wanted that afterward. That seems to be a one time thing though. It was almost dinner.
  • Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich AND fries
  • I wanted a lot of Chinese food in the beginning, but that seems to have run it's course now. Fried rice still sounds really good though.
  • Crunchy tacos. 
  • Soup that is really hot. Like almost burns your tongue hot.
I'm sure I had more cravings with Aaron, but I don't really remember now. Obviously I am more than aware of all the foods I want to eat every second these days. 

And, now I'm going to eat a popcycle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment