Friday, April 10, 2020

Frozen 2 Soundtrack

I love Frozen 2. I was super excited when it was released on Disney+ early because I assumed he'd want to watch it all the time. He's only watched it like a half of a time. But honestly, it's more for parents than it is for kids I think. He was getting pretty antsy by the end and there are some pretty
heavy themes that he was just too little to understand.

We HAVE listened to the soundtrack 6 million times though. And some of those times are because Aaron asked for me to play it. I'm only mostly kidding, but a little bit not kidding. One time I dropped Aaron off at Grandma and Grandpa's so Jesse and I could be with friends over New Year's. It was snowing like crazy and the one hour drive to my in-laws took two each way. We listened to the Frozen 2 soundtrack the whole way... but then I listened to it the whole way back, by myself. Mostly I was just belting "Show Yourself" with Adina. I sang it so many times that the next day I lost my voice. I kept trying to convince all of my friends that I wasn't sick, because I knew exactly why I didn't have a voice, but I also didn't want to tell them why I didn't have a voice, so that was tricky.

There are like 6 songs that they sing in the movie:

The lullaby Elsa and Anna's mom sing to them which is haunting and beautiful.

Some Things Never Change- which I like because it's nostalgic and I love nostalgia.

Into the Unknown- which is beautiful and I think is generally how I feel when my life gets too static and easy and I feel this call to complicate it.

Lost in the Woods- Kristoff's power ballad about how lost he feels without Anna. It reminds me of some kind of combo of Reo Speedwagon, Journey and Richard Marx. It's great for that reason alone, but then like everyone else, I just love that for once that vulnerable, I'm lost without you song, comes from the dude.

Show Yourself- this is obviously my fav song on the soundtrack. I wouldn't have sang it for a couple hours if I didn't like it. Here's why I think it's beautiful: Elsa always feels a little on the outside because she's different from everyone else, but she hears this voice and hopes that maybe it's someone who understands her/ some who is like her. She starts off the song by telling the voice that she's been waiting to meet this person- "they're the one she's been waiting for all of her life." She tells the voice to "show yourself" but throughout the song, she is actually the one who is showing more of herself, and stepping into who she is and her power. But the line that gets me is when a memory/spirit/something of her mom sings with her and says "YOU are the one you've been waiting for" and Elsa joins in, "all of my life." I just think that's lovely and like, it speaks to my soul.

The Next Right Thing- also a beautiful and heavy song. Anna believes Elsa is dead and she feels like she's drowning in grief. Instead of looking too far ahead and wondering how she's going to make it without her big sister, she is determined that she will do "the next right thing" and just keep doing that. That seems to be the only way any of us move forward in grief.

So, we don't listen to the soundtrack as much anymore because we (I) definitely wore it out already, but there are some good things in there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment