Monday, February 19, 2018

Perfume Commercials

... are really weird.

They're always trying to be whimsical or something. No one really smiles, and if they do, it's sort of this attempt at a blend between mysterious and mischevious and deep.

I think that's what is really weird about it to me, they're trying hard to be deep. And so serious.

Do people normally take their fragrances so seriously?

I'm sure the marketing experts would say something like they're selling luxury or adventure or deep-ness. But when we all really think about it, it's really just perfume.

I usually decide if I like a perfume because I like what it smells like and I could imagine that smell being around me all day. That's hard to do in a commercial, but somehow Febreeze and Glade Plug-ins are figuring it out. 

I mean, Febreeze is like $5, so I get that if you're trying to sell a $100 perfume, you've got to step up your game. But isn't it weird that all perfume commercials have this same tone? Do they have like a perfume company pact? Like, what would happen if someone made a perfume commercial where people wore jeans and smiled and complimented each other's perfume? I'll tell you one thing that would happen, I'd probably buy it.

I'm no advertising expert, but my advice would be: at least do a regular smile once in a while, and also, maybe don't whisper quite as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment