Thursday, March 24, 2022

Vomit

I got busy and sick and now I'm traveling and forgot to do my blog for a couple of weeks. That's okay. Let's talk about vomit now.

It's my number one fear. I'm afraid of it happening to me, I'm afraid of being around anyone who is throwing up or might throw up (including my children who I love so very much), I'm afraid of having to look at it, etc. 

The worst thing you can say to me is: I/my kid just threw up yesterday.

It's the miserable anticipation. Is it going to happen? Is it going to happen again? How many hours has it been since I was in contact with that person who I learned just threw up? And then waiting 18 hours, 24, then 36. I usually take a sigh of relief at 36 and a bigger one at 48 if it hasn't happened.

I've been afraid since I was little. In first grade, this kid, Eduardo threw up by my shoe when we were lining up to go in the class. He went to the office, and then I went a few minutes later because I was sure I was also sick. I missed the next day at school because I was so nervous. I wasn't sick.

This summer we went to the farmers market with our friends. We got some pizza from a food truck, because our farmers market is kind of cool and has food trucks. I was wrangling Clara and trying to eat dinner and talk to our friends, and wasn't suuuper paying attention to Aaron who had drank a juice box and eaten all of an adult personal pizza and was running laps with his bestie and chugging water. 3 minutes later he said, "mommy, my tummy hurts" and proceeded to vomit everywhere. My maternal instinct was to run away. I literally jumped away from him clutching Clara while he threw up all over the pavement. So now we know, I will run.

Although this fall Aaron wasn't feeling well and I was sitting on the couch with him early one morning while breastfeeding Clara. I held the bowl for him in one hand and his sister still attached to me in the other hand. I believe that I unlocked a new parent award that day. If Jesse had been in the room, I probably would have ran, but alas, he was still asleep, so I parented instead.

Here's the thing about my vomit fear actually: it's horribly vulnerable and I cannot control anything about it. Also, it's gross and it feels bad. 

Last weekend, I faced my biggest fear. I got the stomach bug at my sister's bachelorette party and got to spend the party alone in the basement bedroom throwing up in a bowl. Not only did I have to be real sick, I did it in an airbnb with people I don't know super duper well yet. That's vulnerable on top of vulnerable. And guess what? I even survived. Maybe this sickness will be part of my healing. Deep right?    


No comments:

Post a Comment