Saturday, March 26, 2022

Encanto 2: We're gonna talk about Bruno

I have a five year old, which means that one time I listened to the Encanto soundtrack for six hours straight and most days we make it through the line up at least once. We took a few weeks hiatus to listen to the Hamilton soundtrack again because apparently we only get obsessed with things Lin Manuel Miranda makes. The day we made it to six hours straight of We Don't Talk About Bruno and The Family Madrigal and the 100th time of Aaron yelling, "Alexa! Play the Encanto soundtrack!" I yelled back, "ALEXA! NO! STOP!" and then told Aaron he needed to read books silently while I shook a little. 

Anyway, I've thought about Encanto a bunch. 

If I had to pick my top five songs, they would be (in this order):

  1. Surface Pressure
  2. All of You (especially the part when the whole town shows up to help them)
  3. Dos Oruguitas 
  4. The Family Madrigal
  5. We Don't Talk About Bruno

There's a lot of things we could talk about like:

  1. Why Surface Pressure makes me cry every time
  2. Some really good song lines
  3. How many sermons I could come up with because of Encanto 
  4. What gifts would be cool to have
  5. What characters we relate to best
  6. Family systems 
  7. Generational trauma
I am guessing there will be a sequel, and if it's not about talking about Bruno, that seems like a real missed opportunity. They really wrapped up that storyline pretty quick at the end and I bet there's more to say about Bruno than a third of a song. 

What Encanto thoughts do you have?


No comments:

Post a Comment